The One Food You Need to Have Better Sex
The One Food You Need to Have Better Sex—Plus Nine More That Sure Don’t Hurt
Feeling like you’re all sizzle, no steak in the bedroom? The solution might be just that: steak!
No, really. Research indicates that a lack of zinc—which helps keep your testosterone steady—can contribute to a poor sex drive and even infertility. But the good news is that 100 grams of beef contains 12.3 mg of zing, well over the 9.5 mg per day that an average guy should be consuming.
Now, we’re not saying you should eat steak every day, but upping your zinc levels could solve your intimacy issues. And once you’re back on track, other foods can amp things up even more. So get ready to dig in because the following aphrodisiacs and performance enhancers will virtually ensure a successful session between the sheets.
1. Dark Chocolate: You’ve probably heard of this one before because it’s known to make you horny AF, but dark chocolate also releases the hormone serotonin, which makes you happy, too. Horny and happy—that’s a solid combo.
2. Ginseng Tea: According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, ginseng affects the gonadal tissue and increases sperm count, sexual activity and performance. So drink up!
3. Garlic: Although it might kill the mood during a make-out session, garlic contains the compound allicin, which is said to increase blood flow to sexual organs. That means you’ll last longer and you’ll both have stronger orgasms.
4. Asparagus: You might want to reconsider this veggie you once avoided as a child. Docs say asparagus might give you a funky pee smell, but it’s also rich in folate, which regulates the production of histamine, a chemical released during orgasm.
5. Watermelon: A study conducted at Texas A&M’s Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center says that watermelon has a Viagra-like effect on the body. Plus, it’s damn delicious.
6. Fatty Fish: Mark your calendar for a sushi date because the tuna wrapped in your favorite rolls is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which help with circulation and keep everything operating optimally.
7. Spinach: Popeye had the right idea when he downed cans of spinach. And, come to think of it, he was always chasing Olive Oyl around, probably because he was in the mood. Spinach is a strong source of magnesium, which helps increase blood flow below the belt.
8. Hot Peppers: Hot peppers can make your sex life, well, hot. Not only do they increase your metabolism, but they also increase blood flow to your nether regions.
9. Pesto: This sauce does double duty. While basil stimulates your sex drive and boosts fertility, pine nuts are full of zinc, and people with higher levels of zinc in their systems have been shown to have stronger libidos.